Thursday, September 22, 2011

Liberal or conservative?

   I've decided the words "liberal" and conservative" should be removed from common use.
   Why? Because I'm confused.
   The words often have opposite meaning in terms of the secular and religious worlds.
   For example,  the topic of discussion in my Ethics and Moral Theology Class for the past two weeks has been environmental issues.
   When it comes to the environment, I am a conservative, theologically, but a liberal politically. Now that's confusing. With other issues it can be the opposite. When one is described as a liberal or conservative, I'm never quite sure what that means.
   I remember having a conversation with my priest about five years ago and said I thought he was a study of opposites because he was a conservative theologically and a liberal politically, on specific issues, that is. I couldn't understand how that could be.
   I now understand how that happens, but it doesn't make any sense to me, or help de-confuse me.
   Back to the environment. In just a few words, conservative theology view is that one is to protect the resources and all of nature by using them as God intended and not to extremes. In the secular world, one who is cautious regarding the environment, is likely classified a liberal.
   I could go on and on with examples, but I would still conclude the same. Any suggestions?
PRAYER CONCERNS:
   For healing: Mike, James, Clayton
   For support: Mike's siblings, Ruth, Heather
   For comfort: Krista, Nathan, Lars,

No comments:

Post a Comment